Monday, January 28, 2013

The Lonely by Tara Brown

The truth is subjective, to what the lonely lets in.

 Emalyn Spicer has lived with the lonely for a long time. She thinks it goes back further than her memories do. She knows it goes back further than the OCD.
When she arrives at college, her OCD's and the lonely refuse to let her have her wish to be normal.
But how to you get away from something that is inside of you?
How do you escape yourself?
Just as she gives up, succumbs to the lonely, the unthinkable happens.
She finds herself once again in the dark, once again held against her will.
But there in the darkness, she meets the lonely head on. She discovers there is more to her world than she ever imagined.
She discovers the lonely was there for her, protecting her from herself

Sneak Peek:

His lip trembles, making his voice unsteady. "You have always been the girl who took my hand and trusted me to save her. The girl who saved my sister from a fate worse than any. The girl whose sadness matched my own. The girl whose face has haunted me my entire life. You saw Emalyn's eyes, well I saw yours. You are the bravest girl I have ever known."
...
I'm trembling and scared as he draws closer.

"I have thought of no one but you for fourteen years. I can't have a regular relationship. It isn’t you I'm punishing, it's me. I don’t deserve the kindness of love. I failed her and you. I should have fought harder and saved you both. I never should have left you. I'm so sorry. I never should have left you. You ended up there because of me."


My Review:

Dark, twisted and obscenely clean....That is what I think of when I read The Lonely by the awesomely fantastical Tara Brown.
Emalyn Spicer has over the top OCD with germs. It's stopped her from being a normal girl growing up. She's headed off to college with her best friend by her side and her mysterious benefactor a text message away. Things start to get a bit intense after meeting a drop dead gorgeous hunk of a college student named Sebastian. Will Emalyn's OCD be too much or will she finally become normal? There are so many dark and intense moments in this book that I couldn't believe that a) Tara Brown wrote it b) I would love it as much as I do and c) bummed that it's a stand-alone.
Tara has proved to be such a versatile writer. She completely blew my socks off with this one. Being able to capture my attention within the first chapter and not stopping until I read the very last word printed in the book, I am floored by how awesome this book is. It's dark, twisted, not for the faint-at-heart or under the age of 16. There are alot of intense moments (to put it nicely) where you wanna stop reading because it's HUGE but you need to finish reading it anyways cuz you need to see how it ends.
Being a huge fan of Tara's work, The Lonely adds a whole new genre for me to start reading. Check out The Lonely for yourself and we can compare notes!


As always, thanks for stopping by and checking out the blog =)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment